Do you know how to lose stubborn belly fat? Take the following multiple choice quiz and see if you know all there is to know about how to shrink you waistline and keep the inches off.
(1) What types of foods contribute to excess fat in the abdominal area?
(a) Foods high in monounsaturated fats, such as nuts, seeds and dark chocolate.
(b) Fried foods
(c) High protein foods
(d) All of the above
Answer: (b) Fried foods often add unwanted inches to the abdominal area as the majority of their calories come from saturated fat. This type of fat is made from animal products and is also known to raise the level of cholesterol in the bloodstream. Therefore, fried foods are not only bad for your waistline but for the health of your heart as well. Foods high in monounsaturated fats are actually good for the abdominals if they are consumed in conservative portions. High protein foods speed up the metabolism and therefore help burn fat.
(2) What types of foods should be eliminated from the diet if you want to lose stubborn belly fat?
(a) Eliminate all sugary foods such as doughnuts and pastries.
(b) Toss out any foods that contain trans fats, such as chips from the vending machine.
(c) Remove low-fat dairy foods.
(d) Both (a) and (b)
Answer: (d) – Both (a) and (b) are the correct answers. Low-fat dairy foods, such as yogurt or skim milk are actually helpful in getting rid of belly fat as they release fat from fat cells in the abdominals and therefore reduce the amount of fat that is absorbed.
(3) Which food actually increases the body’s capacity to burn calories and therefore reduces belly fat?
(a) Chili peppers
(b) Oat or rice bran
(d) None of the above
Answer: (a) Chili peppers. Hot peppers of any kind contain capsaicin which increases the capacity for the body to burn calories by as much as five to ten percent.
(4) What is the best way to speed up the metabolism and therefore reduce fat from the belly?
(a) Eat foods high in protein, such as egg whites, chicken, fish, nuts, seeds as well as certain berries.
(b) Consume nutrient-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables.
(c) Drink plenty of water.
(d) All of the above.
Answer: (d) All of the above. Combined, all of the above approaches work as they speed up the body’s ability to burn calories and therefore reduce belly fat.
(5) When trying to lose weight, it’s helpful to detox the system to flush out any impurities so you can burn fat more efficiently. Which of the following fruits then is particularly useful in flushing out the kidneys?
Answer: (c) Cranberries are specifically helpful in flushing any impurities from the kidneys. In fact, they are often used in clearing infections from the urinary tract.
(6) By adding fiber to your diet, you can significantly lose belly fat. Therefore, by simply doubling your fiber intake, how much weight, on average, can you lose in a year?
(a) 5 pounds
(b) 15 pounds
(c) 10 pounds
(d) None of the above. You can’t lose weight by merely doubling the amount of fiber you consume.
Answer: (c) 10 pounds. It’s been shown that if you simply alter your eating habits and include foods that contain more fiber, you will also see a lower number on the bathroom scale.
(7) Which of the following exercises is the best exercises to lose belly fat?
(b) Lifting Weights
(d) Both (b) and (c)
Answer: (d) Both (b) and (c) are the correct answers. Although crunches are good for toning and strengthening the abdominal area, they will not necessarily reduce the fat. The only way to burn fat is by speeding up the metabolism. A cardio workout like running assists in increasing the heart rate and the body’s ability to burn fat and calories.
Used in conjunction with resistance trainingor an anaerobic exercise such as weightlifting, you will indeed lose weight in the abdominal area. That’s because resistance training causes you to keep burning calories even after you’ve completed your session of exercise.
(8) Which of the following beverages will aid in reducing one’s waistline?
(a) Skim milk
(c) Green tea
(d) Both (a) and (c)
Answer: If you said (d) – both (a) and (c), you are correct. Skim milk is a low-fat dairy product. Any low-fat dairy product is helpful in lowering the amount of absorbed fat in the abdominal region and therefore reduces any accumulation of fat. Green tea too is a good beverage to consume if you want to reduce inches from your waist as it’s been proven to boost the metabolism and therefore burn fat. On the other hand, coffee dehydrates the system and is not a good choice if you want to lose weight in the abdominal area. It’s important to keep hydrated when you want to burn calories and lose excess weight. So coffee isn’t the best choice when it comes to something to drink.
(9) Which of the following foods is not rich in fiber and not necessarily helpful in weight reduction?
(a) Chick peas
(c) Potatoes with skins
(d) None of the above.
Answer: (d) None of the above. All of the foods listed are rich in fiber and can help you lose weight if consumed in conservative portions.
(10) If you must cave in to temptation, which of the following treats would be best to eat if you want to keep your belly washboard flat?
(a) One or two bites of dark chocolate with almonds.
(b) An ice cream sandwich.
(c) Pork rinds.
(d) None of the above.
Answer: (a) Believe it or not, it’s been found that you can eat a small amount of dark chocolate without any adverse effects. If you wrap it around a protein like almonds, then you’ll even obtain more benefits. Dark chocolate contains monounsaturated fat, which is produced from plants and is an acceptable food to eat provided you consume only a small portion as it’s also dense calorically.