Weight Loss Tips for Teenage girls

by Hara Hagikalfa · 75 comments

The teenager years, or the adolescent, or the puberty years, whatever you prefer to call it, is one of the main turning points in one’s life. It is also the time that both girls and boys become conscious of themselves, which is why most of them want to lose weight. Granted, weight loss can be achieved just by about anyone, but, because of their childish tendencies, these teenagers try to lose weight in a very unhealthy manner.

At some point, especially with teenage girls, most prefer the ‘fast track’ and other diet regimens that promise to give results in a few weeks, or even days. However, these schemes not only they do not present results but they may generate side-effects that are quite harmful to the body.

If you do not want to do a deep research on how to lose weight here are some weight loss tips for teenage girls that will give you a good idea of what you need to do to address your weight problem. The list below is by no means complete but by following these tips you ensure that you are going towards the correct direction.

• Breakfast is one of the most important meals, and this is even more important for teenagers that need the nutrients and minerals in order to supplement their growing bodies. Eating healthy in the morning will give you more energy to cope with your lessons and activities and will keep your stomach full until launch time. If you think about it, all it takes to eat breakfast in the morning is to wake up 10 minutes earlier. Once you make it a habit everything else will be easier and you will feel better and healthier.
  • Snack on fresh fruits and vegetables. If you really want to lose weight, you need snacks that are not only delicious and tasty but are also packed with nutrients and vitamins. As a teenager you need all the energy you can get from food and fruits and vegetables are among the best sources. Perfect examples are apples, oranges, bananas and apricots.
  • Commit yourself to doing as much physical activity as possible. A careful diet is only the first part of the weight loss equation; the other part is physical activity and exercise. You do not have to join a gym or do any formal training; any physical activity is beneficial for your weight loss efforts provided that you do it regularly. For example do not underestimate the benefits of walking in losing weight. Walking is easy to do and can do wonders to your weight loss. Whenever you get a chance to walk, run, climb the stairs, and engage into sports (basketball, tennis etc) do it. It will help you burn calories faster and boost your metabolism.
  • Do not forget that if you cannot address your weight loss problem alone, there are dedicated professionals to give you guidance and advice. The web is certainly a good way to get information but if this fails you need to consult a physician or a dietician first. This is in order to have a proper and full physical examination of your body, and to know the types of food that you should be eating.

Finally, it is good to care about your appearance and weight but do not take it very seriously. There are more important aspects of a person’s character that bypass the external appearance and enrich the internal beauty. Do not lose your confidence and self esteem and be sure that weight loss is a problem that you can tackle if you really want to. It sometimes takes more time then you might think but there is absolutely no reason why you cannot make it.

Like this article? Share and subscribe!

Hara Hagikalfa
About the author

Hara Hagikalfa completed her BSc(Hons) in Health and Exercise Science, Sports Science and Medicine. She is a certified Personal Trainer and Pilates instructor. You can learn more about Hara and connect with her on Facebook

{ 75 comments… read them below or add one }

c-c September 19, 2011 at 6:47 am

i am 14 almost 15. i am 5 ft 5 in. and i weigh about 225 and it sucks! i want to be a healthy girl but i have a hard time sticking to a diet cuz my dad is always bringing the junk food in the house. (he admitted that he is addicted to chocolate and ice cream. they are ALWAYS in the house) =[ i dont care if my results are fast, i just dont want to graduate in 4 years as an unhealthy girl. Any suggestions on what to do??

Eliza Dery October 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I am 14 years old. I an 5’7 and weigh 160 lbs. Two summers ago in seventh grade I decided to loose weight. I lost 22 lbs over the summer and the coming year. It felt really good. I still exercise a lot i do Zumba classes and taps at home. I am ok with myself but part of me wants to keep going I want to pick up on my eating habits again I just need to convince myself somehow. I liked reading all of the comments girls left it makes me feel like I am not the only one out there.

sarah October 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm

look u girls are pretty and smart and very willing to lose weight and i need some pounds taken away myself i cry and become less self confedent but all girls no matter what are so pretty and very careful.

Gina October 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’m 5’5″ and 135lbs. My friends say I don’t look fat but I feel the OPPOSITE… I’m 20 so my metabolism is getting A LOT slower than all you young teens… I used to be 107lbs. 2 years ago but with my life being so unproductive now that I’m out of high school I’ve just gained TOO much weight. I’ve tried starving, it works for like a week but once I stopped starving myself I think I actually gained 2xs more than what i lost, I absolutely LOVE food, especially sweets or CHIPS I’m more of a constant snacker than a meal eater which is also worse, but getting out of this habit is so hard. I get super motivated to lose weight… Constantly work out everyday for about a week but I can never just constantly keep at my work outs cause I’m such a lazy b*tch. If anyone has any diet plans that is easy and cheap I’d really appreciate it and if anyone needs a workout partner that has VERY STRONG WILL POWER and lives in the OC, California and wants to lose 20-30lbs. Please contact me all my friends are already super skinny so the never need to worry about any of this so if I need a workout buddy!

Alice Shenie October 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I am almost 13 and im around 5’2 and weigh 108-110(49-50 kilos) i use to be 48. I was really proud of myself because before i weighed 130 pounds and lost it in one summer. The reason i am on here right now is that when im alone i feel alright with my body but right when i stand next to someone i feel like the fatest girl in the world. Lately, i gained a couple punds and they keep coming on and off and its confusing me cause i am eating pretty healthy. Is there any advice on anything? i only drink water and 100% juice. I cant drink anything else cause it makes me sick thinking about it
thanks for the help.

Lilly October 30, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m 5ft 1 and I weigh 45kg is this unhealthy. I want to lose weight but I can’t go to the gym or go on a proper diet.What do I do?

Ferbs October 30, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Hey guys. I want to tell you how important it is to rethink your goals when it comes to weight loss as a teenager, especially if you’re going through puberty. I, for one understand this because I had to learn things the hard way as a teenager. What I thought was being healthy and losing “unhealthy” fat was actually a stage where I eventually confused “normal” with “fat” and “skinny” with “healthy” as I saw all that weight melt off me by eating less and exercising more. Yet this continuous thinking, without me being alert and conscious of it, developed into anorexia. Girls, I’m not dead now, obviously because I gained weight. But with it, I gained insulin resistance and PCOS because my body couldn’t handle any more food after I limited myself so much. I struggle with hair popping out all over my body, acne, and easily gaining weight–WAY more so than the normal girl or woman does. I don’t get my periods. Even the numbers make sense, as I dropped from 95 lbs to 70, and then gaining to 140 in a matter of 3 years even by going back to what should have been my “normal” eating habits. Don’t make your body weak if you are planning to lose weight. Don’t make the mistake of confusing normal weight with “fat” or “not perfect or satisfactory”. Although we wish to be perfect, we cannot. That is not reality for most of us, and we can do little to control it.

Hannah.W October 30, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Im 14,around 5’7 204 lbs. I am transferring BACK to a school that i went to for about 6 months. I really want to get down to 160 by then. I have about 2 to 3 months. I do great for about 2 or 3 weeks, but then i stop eating good, working out, all the above. I really need some thing to motivate me. Could anyone give me ideas for me to be motivated??? Please help!

Faith December 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Ladies muscle weighs more than fat so if you work out and stop seeing weight go down it’s most likely because you’re gaining muscle or youre just not pushing yourself hard enough. Try to drink lots of water and drink rice milk or soy milk instead of regular milk. Also don’t buy anything that says DIET on it because it’s actually a lot worse than the regular. Try not to eat a lot of bread either or anything with yeast because it expands in your belly. Try hiking because it helps clean you out. You should buy the book called the beauty detox secret or something like that. Gives a lot of helpful info.

Nikita December 13, 2011 at 1:53 am

i’m 15 and weigh 76 kg and feel an outsider with my friends cause they are all fit and i’m not. i’m trying to lose wight on my thighs but it just seems it’s not working.. do you have any tips or suggestions?

Arin December 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m 5 6 and weigh 140 pounds. I playing school sports teams and go to a cultural dance group (very rough dances), but it won’t cut it, in fact, I gained 5 pounds u just this weekend! It’s all far on my belly and thighs and I have pesky love handles. I have little time to work out and have no time for breakfast and snacks. I want to lose at easy 10 pounds before the new year. Any tips?

Emma December 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Im 14 and i weigh close to 12 stone and i know that im overweight, it makes me feel so embaressed to go out wiht family and friends because of how i look. i have tried to cut out all of the rubbish foods that i eat beetween meal times but i just cant seem to stick to it. ive also done a trial run of being a vegitarian for a month but i still saw no result. i really need some advice, anything will do i just want to be happy with how i look! please help! :)

Alicia January 7, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Hey girls,

I’m 13 i weigh 120 and i’m 5’2″ i play basketball almost 24/7 and i try my best at eating healthy.
My stomach is the only thing i hate. i exercise about 4 times a week, plus basketball games and practices.
But girls don’t give up hope! You are not alone, keep going. Just because you might have hit a dead end doesn’t mean giving up! Don’t stop! It’s great that you even started!
Look you don’t have to go to a gym, or some specail place you can work out a t home.

Working out shouldn’t be a chore, if your watching TV and there’s a commercial, do some sit-ups or crunches while you waiting. Run around your neighborhood, or bike. And if you parent’s don’t want you running around your neighborhood, run around the outside of your house, or bike around your house. I know it might not be flat, but it ust burns more calories!
You don’t need any special equipment to do push ups.
And a good workout for me is take a really short chair, or a sturdy box just something that is sturdy and is about 3 inches shorter then your knee. Put both hands on the box (or whatever) like your going to do push-ups, but take one hand off and put it on the ground, followed by the next, then put one hand back up followed by the other. You can start on your knees if it’s too hard.

If you need some help or have questions these websites helped me:

to know what weight you should be at:

Exercise for teen girls:

(read whole page, it’s full of great stuff)

And don’t give up!

Jenna January 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

I am 11 and I am 123 pounds! I really want to loos weight its just really hard! I play sports but it does not help! I do 2 miles on the tredmile and it makes me loos like 1 pound then I just gain it back! what should I do!! I really like cheer but I to over-weight to do it. People make fun of me and it hurts!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Sofia January 9, 2012 at 6:51 am

hi. I’m 16. 5’4 and weigh around 172, i need to lose 15 pounds in 3 months, pls help me, its is possible or impossible?

bria January 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

im like 5’3 and weigh like 200 lbs/ african/american….i really would like too loose weight but its hard because im on birth control…im 15 bout to be 16 in march…..i would like too loose 50 lbs…i hope i reach my goal..i started yesterday…but the only thing i would like to loose is my back fat and stomach and arms….i like my thighs …i dnt want to be a stick or nothing because i like curves..i just need some tips on what to eat …how many time i should work out i week,, how long should i work out…whats the fastest way to loose weight…what should i do when i get hungry but i just ate sum food and a snack…??? if yu can help anyone thanks………….

Kate January 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Hi I’m 12 almost 13 and weigh exactly 123.4 pounds. I want to loose 40 pounds so I can be skinny like all my friends… I’ve tried everything like not eating sometimes dieting and exercise. I’m not very good at exercising and I really wanna look good because none of the guys at school like me because of what I look like, people always make fun of me. Can someone help me?
please respond.
thanks,
kate(:

Taylor January 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Hey,
Ok so I’m 15 about to turn 16 in less than a month. 5’6 and weight probably around 200 pounds. I swim from my school and swim during the summer, but nothin seems to help. My mom and I have tried just about everything !!!! Finally she gave in, she is now getting B12 shots but of course I can’t do that because i’m not 18. I try to go work out EVERY day but sometimes I’m just not motivated to do anything…. && I know my eating habits have to change and we are not doing a low carb diet because we don’t no what else to do !!! I NEED HELP, I don’t want to feel like this when I turn 16.

The bad thing is … I use to weight about 160 but then my parents got divorced and 5 years later me and my mom moved to Florida from Georgia. I want to be back to my old self …. But i need some gooodddd advice
THANKSSS , Taylor

Jo January 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

i just turn 15 and i would LOVE to loose weight in 2 months PLEASE i need some help,tips or advice to loose weight in 2 months thanks

Kat February 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Im 17 years old and i want to loose weight in 3 months im 5’7″ ans weigh 178. please help i need tips, exercises that can help me loose weight and my gut fast. Thanks

Breanna February 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I am 17 and i weigh 190 lbs im 5’5, i need help really badly. I want to lose about 50 lbs but i need a good plan to achieve that goal. i have no idea what foods to eat and what exercises are good for me, my knee hurts me when i work out! please help!

georgia February 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm

im eating around 500-600 calories a day. if i go over about 800. i am a 15 year old girl, i do 50 sit ups a night and walk home from school. i used to be 11 stone, now im 9 and half
i am not loosinv anymore though and i feel huge. how do i lose more?

Em March 12, 2012 at 6:34 am

Hi, I’m 13 years old, 14 in April, and I’m about 5’2 and I weigh roughly 120 pounds. I was just wondering if there was a fast easy way to lose weight. I want to lose it before summer starts, especially around my butt and thighs. I have what I call ‘frog legs’ (big thighs, little calves) so I want to get rid of that. I play tennis everyday and I’m trying to cut back on calories, but I’m just not motivated. It doesn’t help that my friends insist that I’m not fat, but they don’t see me as I do. Do you have any tips on weight loss??

Saylie March 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I am 17 years old. I wanna loose 45 pounds in 21/2 months …. I’m 5’7 … How can I do this

Justpaddleout March 21, 2012 at 4:34 am

Hey I am 15 years old and like 5’10 but I really hate the way I look I exercise every day for at least an hour and I never eat junk food or anything unhealthy i never eat sugar or carbs….. I eat really healthy food but I always gain a lot of weight and it is like impossible to lose it unless I eat like 1000 calories a day but then I look weak and tired and I lose barely 20 lbs… Why don’t I lose weight easily and wahy do I gain weight so easily??