In a previous post we explained several weight loss tips for women; in this post we outline tips that are better applicable for women over 40. Although proper weight loss guidelines are the same for all people, women have more reasons to care about weight loss than men. The first reason is because they give more importance to their appearance and second because their body has to withstand several hormonal changes (menopause, period, pregnancy) throughout their life and these changes have a negative impact on their weight. The weight loss tips below can help women work towards a healthier life and weight.
1. Set realistic goals. Women over 40 should realize that they are no longer young girls but mature women. This does not mean that they cannot look good but it means that they should set realistic goals about their appearance and weight. Realistic goals are the ones that can be achieved and not the ones you wish. Analyze your body and life and set realistic but high goals.
2. Decide how much weight you want to lose. Sometimes people are confused as to the amount of pounds they should lose. What is the ideal weight for someone? Is it what the BMI tables suggest or what makes someone feel good? The truth is in the middle. The ideal weight is that amount that makes you feel good about your body and also it is within a healthy range. It is a good idea to calculate your BMI and based on that number and your perceptions decide how much pounds you want to lose.
3. Weight loss is not the only solution. Many women over 40 who have a few extra pounds believe that if they lose the extra weight they will feel better and all their problems will be solved. This is far from true. Weight loss is only one aspect of a good life and you should not give too much attention to this alone. Of course you should take care of your weight and make efforts to reach your weight loss goals but always have in mind that there are other more important aspects to life than weight loss.
4. Numbers do not always tell the truth. When you are evaluating your weight loss results do not always rely on numbers but consider the true result. The true result is the number of inches you lose from the different body parts and not only the reduction shown by the scale. If you notice that the scale shows a reduction but your body looks the same then you should increase both the intensity and pace of exercise. Exercise can help you lose fat, build more muscles and generally look slimmer and better.
5. Try to beat the daily routine. Women over 40 normally have a lot of things to care for during the day. This includes work, family, house and many other activities. All this does not leave them enough time to care for them self and watch their diet and health. Essential ingredients needed to overcome this routine are daily exercise (gym, aerobics, walking), time dedicated for rest and time dedicated on activities that you like and enjoy.
6. Watch your diet. Following a careful diet is one of the basic rules of weight loss. A careful diet includes:
– Eating food low in fat and low in calories
– Avoiding processed food
– Prefer barbecued food and stay away from fried food
– Prefer fish and white meat instead of red meat
– Drink 6 glasses of water per day
– Eat fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy products
– Do not skip breakfast
– Eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours
– Eat slowly and chew your food well
– No junk food or sugar loaded drinks
– Eat your last meal of the day at least 3 hours before sleeping
– Eat salads with no dressings
You need to understand that when it comes to losing weight that here are no fast ways to achieve the results you want. Stay away from crash diets or celebrity diets and do not trust weight loss programs or pills. Always look for healthy ways to lose weight and be very selective of who to trust. If you can afford it you can also get professional advice from a certified nutritionist who can help you build up a diet and is suited for you. Stay committed to your goals and it is only a matter of time to get the results you want.